The Association of Education Finance and Policy’s (AEFP) Jean Flanigan Outstanding Dissertation Award is intended to recognize exemplary dissertation research by doctoral students in the area of education finance and policy.
Candidates must have defended their dissertation or been awarded a degree by an accredited U.S. or Canadian institution between June 1, 2016 and August 31, 2017.
- A $1000 cash award
- Presentation of a plaque at the AEFP Annual Conference
- Opportunity to present in a concurrent paper session
Awarded applicants will be expected to attend the 2018 AEFP Conference to be presented with an award and have the opportunity to present in a concurrent paper session.
The AEFP Awards Committee will evaluate the submitted dissertations based on the following criteria:
- Conceptually clear and important research question.
- Theoretical base, e.g., education finance theory.
- Comprehensive review of applicable literature.
- Use of appropriate data and methodology.
- Discussion of the importance and relevance of the results to education finance and policy.
- Clarity of exposition.
Applications must include:
- An electronic copy of the complete dissertation.
An overview of the dissertation. The overview must be fewer than 1,500 words (including graphics and appendices) and include the following elements:
- The question investigated
- A description of the conceptual or theoretical base
- A brief review of the relevant literature
- A description of the data and methodology used
- A review of the findings, and
- A discussion of the relevance of the findings.
- The chair or a member of the dissertation committee must submit a separate letter or email of endorsement directly to the contact below. The letter should:
- Attest to the nominee's eligibility,
- Specify the meritorious nature of the dissertation as it relates to the evaluation criteria, and
- Indicate the nominee's current position, address, and telephone number.
- All applications should be submitted in electronic format (Microsoft Work or PDF formats) to the AEFP Awards Committee Chair Matthew Chingos at email@example.com with “2018 Jean Flanigan Outstanding Dissertation Award Application” in the subject heading.
- Deadline: December 31, 2017
- The committee reserves the option to award one or more Honorable Mentions.