Rank: Associate or Full Professor
The OU Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies invites associate or full professors to apply for the Chair position. We are looking for a productive scholar and visionary educator who can collaborate with internal and external partners to develop and deliver high quality graduate programs that respond to a changing educational landscape. The chair will work with faculty committed to the values of social justice and equity, and who share a collective desire for research and preparation programs to contribute to an educational system that works for all learners. The chair will have an appointment in one of the three program areas of the department where he/she will teach courses and advise master and doctoral students.
The department consists of three program areas – Adult and Higher Education, Educational Studies, and Educational Administration, Curriculum, and Supervision – that offer MEd, PhD, and EdD degrees to leaders working in different sectors of the K-20 educational system and within the area of workforce development. In addition, the department is home to the K-20 Center for Education and Community Renewal, The Professional Development and Leadership Academy, the Oklahoma Center for Education Policy, Center for Leadership Ethics and Change, and the Institute for the Study of Education Finance. More information about the department is available at http://www.ou.edu/education/elps/.
The Chair provides leadership in all matters of policy as determined by the faculty, Dean, and Senior Vice President and Provost. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with program area coordinators and the college administrative team to ensure that degree programs are nationally recognized as innovators in the field.
- Work with faculty, administrators, and staff to support a research and scholarly agenda consistent with expectations of the highest Carnegie research classification.
- Work with Committee A, the governance structure of the Department, to carryout responsibilities associated with annual faculty evaluation, tenure, and promotion.
- Maintain effective engagement of faculty in continuous improvement efforts.
- Facilitate the operation of the department through regular faculty meetings, managing the department budget, and open communication.
- Teach two courses each year and advise graduate students.
- Represent departmental interests at the College and University levels.
- Maintain an active and relevant research agenda consistent with expectations of an associate or full professor.
- Have an earned doctoral degree in Adult and/or Higher Education, Educational Studies, Educational Administration, Educational Leadership, Education Policy, or a related field.
- Currently hold a rank of associate or full professor or be eligible for the same at OU.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to inclusion and social justice.
- Have a coherent research agenda that contributes to essential knowledge and understanding in the field.
- Have a history of scholarly activity.
- Have experience leading, managing, and/or directing graduate programs.
- Experience with one or more leadership roles, such as but not limited to, serving as a principal investigator, officer in a professional association, and editor/associate editor of an academic journal.
- Experience designing and developing graduate programs in collaboration with other departments and/or community partners.
- Experience leading continuous improvement processes that involve multiple stakeholders.
- Experience building relationships and partnerships with school systems, community partners, businesses, and other organizations.
- National prominence as a scholar with a research agenda that demonstrates a clear connection with policy and practice.
- A strong record of advising graduate students.
- A strong record of effective teaching at the graduate level.
Anticipated Start Date
The individual selected to fill the department chair position may assume responsibilities as early as January 4, 2018 or as late as July 1, 2018.
To apply, upload all materials to https://jobs.ou.edu. Materials should include:
- A signed application letter that specifically addresses the required and preferred qualifications for the position;
- A current curriculum vita; and,
- A list of 3-5 professional references.
For additional information or questions please contact Professor Jeff Maiden, chair of the search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
About the University of Oklahoma
OU is a comprehensive public research university known for excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement. The Carnegie system classifies OU as a university with very high research activity, which is the highest ranking for doctoral granting universities. OU serves the educational, cultural, economic and health-care needs of the state, region, and nation from three campuses: Norman, Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City, and the Schusterman Center in Tulsa. OU enrolls over 30,000 students and has more than 2,700 full-time faculty members across 21 colleges. In 2014, OU became the first public institution ever to rank #1 nationally in the recruitment of National Merit Scholars. The 277-acre Research Campus in Norman was named the No.1 research campus in the nation by the Association of Research Parks in 2013. Norman, which is part of the Oklahoma City metro area, is a culturally rich and vibrant community of almost 120,000 people that is a perennial contender on “best place to live” rankings. Norman also has outstanding schools, amenities, and a low cost of living. To learn more about Norman visit
http://www.ou.edu/publicaffairs/oufacts.html for more information.
OU complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. We invite all qualified applicants to apply.