The Education Policy Innovation Collaborative (EPIC) at Michigan State University (MSU) is seeking up to two research associates (postdoctoral researchers) to join EPIC to work on an externally-funded study of competency-based education (CBE) implementation in seven Michigan school districts.
The two research associates (postdoctoral researchers) will work closely together and with a large research team (including Drs. Katharine Strunk and Josh Cowen, EPIC staff researchers and doctoral students), to study the implementation, evolution and efficacy of a CBE pilot taking place in Michigan. Ideally, one research associate will have expertise in implementation science and survey design and analysis. The other will have deep experience leading qualitative data collection and analysis (interviews, case studies and observations). Both should have a substantive interest in curriculum and instruction, personalized learning and/or alternative forms of instruction and assessment.
In addition to pursuing their own research programs, duties for the research associates may include:
- providing leadership on the design of a study to understand school- and district-level implementation of competency-based education programs in seven Michigan school districts;
- developing surveys that effectively measure practices and beliefs of students, teachers and principals;
- analyzing survey responses and modeling relationships in the data;
- analyzing administrative data to assess the efficacy of CBE in implementing districts;
- leading qualitative data collection and analysis (e.g., interviews, case studies and observations), which will require in-state travel;
- recruiting participants and case study sites for qualitative research across the state of Michigan;
- developing and revising interview protocols;
- developing observation rubrics to assess CBE-aligned instruction;
- coordinating qualitative data collection activities;
- developing coding rubrics to be applied across qualitative data, including interviews, observations, documents, etc.
- assisting with oversight of a team of doctoral student research associates;
- assisting with the developing and writing of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals;
The research associates will join a large team of doctoral student, postdoctoral and staff researchers at EPIC. We are seeking a person who is excited to be a member of a dynamic and motivated group, and who is driven by a desire to produce both rigorous and policy-relevant research aimed a driving improvements for Michigan students.
The positions, which include benefits, are fixed term annual, 100% time position beginning January 1, 2019 with the potential for renewal yearly for additional one to two additional years in the College of Education based on performance and funding.
Michigan State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Michigan State University is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.