The Assessment Resource Center (ARC) in the College of Education at the University of Missouri seeks an experienced, entreprenuerial researcher to become the next director. We seek a visionary leader who would relish the opportunity to substantially grow the ARC as a research and evaluation center that serves the four-campus University of Missouri (UM) system, and the nation.
ARC’s mission has been to collect and analyze data to help organizations make meaningful, data-driven decisions. We seek a senior director to deepen and expand this mission to make ARC a premiere research, evaluation, and assessment center. The expanded mission is to advance cutting-edge methodology research, to support the productivity of UM faculty across fields, to facilitate methods training of students, postdocs and faculty, to increase grantsmanship, to raise the research profile of UM, and to generate revenue for the university.
ARC is self-sustaining as it provides practical assessment and evaluation resources for a diverse set of clients nationwide in higher education, preK-12 education, nonprofit organizations, government, and business. It has been in operation since the mid-1930s. ARC staff members provide a range of custom assessment and evaluation services to both campus and to external clients. ARC’s current products and services include:
- The Network for Educator Effectiveness: A comprehensive preK-12 educator evaluation system used by 60% of Missouri school districts and expanding to other states.
- Research and Evaluation Services: A small team of researchers who collect, analyze, and report quantitative and qualitative data for clients.
- IT Services: A team of programmers who build and maintain custom evaluation and assessment systems for both internal and external projects, including a proprietary system for the scoring of open-ended assessments.
- Campus Assessment Services: Course evaluations and classroom testing for the MU campus.
- Qualtrics administrator for the MU campus.
- Sales of assessment products, including tests and materials nationally through an online store.
- Distribution: Shipping and receiving for projects with tens of thousands of documents from hundreds of schools across the United States.
Essential Functions and Abilities
- Adapt, implement and monitor a strategic plan and vision to grow the ARC, in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Work closely with College of Education leadership to expand the mission of the ARC and promote the college’s research and evaluation enterprise.
- Work closely with researchers and the research infrastructure across the UM system.
- Identify, recommend and implement opportunities for new research, approaches, and resources, and promote synergistic collaborations to serve the mission of the ARC.
- Maintain a positive and inclusive organizational culture
- Oversee the planning, design, and implementation of major research initiatives.
- Ensure all research and evaluation projects are designed around client needs with sound methodology.
- Negotiate and secure contracts and procure and maintain grants.
- Provide expert advice on research projects.
- Serve as interface between research projects and clients.
- Coach and mentor research staff.
- Participate in data analysis in collaboration with center research staff.
Outreach and Business Development
- Supervise the Assistant Director who manages day-to-day operations of the ARC.
- Adjust resources, maintain connections with the community, and provide oversight of the center.
- Secure and maintain excellent professional relations within the College of Education, the University, the state of Missouri, educational institutions and organizations, and business development relationships. Serve as primary client contact.
- Lead and secure proposal efforts.
- Disseminate findings through publication of papers, technical reports, and presentations.
- Generate new business opportunities for revenue and effectively allocate resources to support the financial health of the organization.
General direction is received from the Associate Dean for Engagement and Outreach, College of Education
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over 20-25 professional, technical, and/or support staff as well as faculty consultants.
- Ph.D. in research, evaluation, measurement and statistics (REMS)
- Experience conducting research, including leading and managing major and multiple grants from federal agencies
- Research expertise evidenced through publications/presentations and awards.
- Proven ability to develop research staff capacity in research design and methods, project management, client relationships, and business development
- Record of successful leadership from the local to the international level on issues related to research
- Ability to analyze complex problems, formulate plans for resolution and follow through with implementation of the plans, through effective delegation of authority
- Excellent oral, written, and analytical skills, exhibiting fluency in area of specialization.
- High degree of personal integrity
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders, including scholars, industry leaders, students, and staff.
About the College: The College of Education is ranked among the top doctoral granting colleges of education in the country. Today, the College has a student population of approximately 900 undergraduates and 1,600 graduate students, and over 100 faculty. The College is financially well positioned to invest in innovation. Annual expenditures for externally funded projects are approximately $20 million with funded projects in research, instruction and public service. Our research portfolio has increased significantly in recent years, and is poised for continued significant strategic growth. The College is a leader on the campus and is nationally recognized for its distance and online education programs.
About MU and the Surrounding Community: MU is the oldest state university west of the Mississippi River and the largest of the four institutions in the University of Missouri System. In 1867, MU became the first public university in the nation to open a college specific to teacher preparation. Cultural diversity is an important goal supported by the Department, College, and MU. More information is available on the web at: education.missouri.edu
MU is located in Columbia, a metropolitan community of approximately 130,000 that has been rated by Money Magazine, Men’s Journal and MSN.COM as one of the best places to live in the U.S. MU has a student body of over 30,000, and is designated as a Carnegie Research University with very high research activity. MU is one of only six universities in the U.S. that is both the flagship and land grant institution housing medicine, veterinary medicine, and law on the same campus. As an AAU member institution since 1908, MU is recognized as one of the top research and educational institutions in the nation.
This position provides an opportunity to work at a world-class research university in a beautiful and diverse setting that offers a high quality of life. There are numerous opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts and Columbia has been recognized as a bike-friendly community. Both Kansas City and St. Louis are within a 90-minute drive offering the shopping and cultural opportunities of major metropolitan areas. Columbia has a very high quality public school system and provides many opportunities for art, culture, and music enthusiasts..
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Appointment: 12-month appointment.
To Apply: Apply on-line at https://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job (direct link: tinyurl.com/vw363vk). Upload (a) a letter of application in which candidates describe in detail their qualifications for the position, (b) Resume/CV, and (c) names and contact information for three references.
Please contact Brad Curs (573-882-2759 or email@example.com) for questions about the position.
Beginning Review Date: Formal review of applications will begin April 1 and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Missouri is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities and disabled individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. To request ADA accommodations, please contact the Dean’s Office at 573-884-7717.