The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Research Analyst working in our Washington, DC office.
The College Board has a long-standing commitment to using evidence to strengthen its programs and improve public policy. Leveraging the extraordinary data housed at the College Board and its partners, the Senior Research Analyst will integrate research even more deeply into our everyday work and our advocacy. With the goal of supporting member institutions and the evolving college admissions landscape, we are seeking a candidate with strong statistical and econometric skills and familiar with academic research.
The ideal candidate is familiar with college admissions and financial aid processes at American postsecondary institutions, and has worked in some capacity with college admissions and financial aid professionals, or has worked in postsecondary institutional research. A major focus of Senior Research Analyst’s day-to-day responsibilities will involve the College Board’s new Environmental Context Dashboard (ECD). The candidate will be responsible for coordinating efforts throughout the College Board to maintain and update the ECD and ensuring that all data are of the highest quality. In addition to possessing a substantive understanding of the college admissions landscape, the candidate will possess excellent data analytic skills and a commitment to the highest standards of quality assurance.
Supporting a team of research scientists and analysts, the Senior Research Analyst performs literature and landscape reviews, prepares datasets for analysis, conducts statistical and econometric analyses, contributes to papers and reports, and fields rapid response analysis requests from key stakeholders. These tasks are carried out in collaboration with senior staff, other College Board research scientists, and external researchers. Though these tasks, Senior Research Analyst will serve the College Board’s commitment to provide the most up-to-date information for the college admissions landscape.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
What you’ll do
- Assist with day-to-day management of innovative admissions tools, including the Environmental Context Dashboard: coordinate with internal business units to generate requirements, test features, implement updates, etc. that align with the organization's higher education strategy.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from senior staff and member institutions about the ECD elements.
- Take ownership of the algorithms that yield all data points in the ECD.
- Update the ECD data periodically when more contemporary data become available.
- Write technical reports clearly documenting the construction of ECD elements. Maintain documentation and produce technical reports describing procedures, data collection, data analysis, and research results.
- Conduct searches of the literature and policy landscape to ensure that the ECD continues to meet the changing needs of our membership.
- Work with large-scale datasets from a wide variety of sources including NCES, the Census, The College Board, and state and institutional administrative offices.
- Implement analyses of data based on experimental and quasi-experimental research designs.
- Collaborate on research projects with external researchers and consultants.
- Monitor higher education industry trends to ensure that admissions tools utilize appropriate conventions and best practices. Requires subject matter expertise to analyze and translate critical industry developments.
- Develop and manage highly collaborative relationships across the organization to support program implementation.
- Candidates will have a Master’s degree or a PhD in the social sciences, statistics, education or a related field. Experience working in admissions, financial aid, or institutional research highly preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistical software such as Stata, SAS or R. Experience working with large-scale datasets is required.
- Experience with SQL is desired.
- Experience around and knowledge of education policy issues is desired.
More about you
- Knowledge of statistics
- Extensive experience with Stata, SAS or R
- Knowledge of econometrics is preferred
- Strong analytic and quantitative skills
- Experience with large-scale datasets
- Experience in research and survey methodologies is beneficial
- Ability to conduct searches of academic journals and summarize findings
- Experience with Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage a variety of on-going projects
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Please apply at the link here: https://careers.collegeboard.org/job/1560068