TalkingPoints (talkingpts.org) is an award-winning education technology non-profit organization with the mission to unlock the potential of low-income, underserved families to support their children’s learning by partnering with their children’s schools. Returning to back-to-school has made our mission ever more urgent and important. We’re building a one-of-a-kind product in the market, a multilingual family engagement platform that connects families and teachers using human and artificial intelligence powered, two-way translated messages and personalized supports — eliminating language, time limitations, and know-how as barriers to school/family connection.
Millions of teachers and families are using TalkingPoints in their classrooms and schools and districts across the U.S. TalkingPoints works with key school district partners such as Oakland Unified, Wake County and NYC DOE. We have won awards from NYU, MIT, Google.org, Ashoka, Forbes and are backed by Google.org, AT&T, Carnegie Corporation, Schmidt Futures, Stanford University and NewSchools Venture Fund, to name a few. Most recently we were named an evidence-based learning platform to support by MIT’s J-Pal, and our research partners include University of Chicago and MIT. Learn more
Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
As our dedicated Research Associate you will have the opportunity to be part of multiple research projects as part of the organization’s growing research team. As part of our research team, you will provide research design and data analysis support for ongoing impact evaluation study. For example, you will use insights from large-scale (100M+) conversation data between educators and families across the U.S. K-12 schools and inform an evaluation study of estimating impact of TalkingPoints on student learning outcomes. This position offers a unique opportunity to utilize your data-analytics and research skills to be part of a non-profit organization with mission to drive student success by unlocking the potential of families to fuel their children’s learning, especially in under-resourced communities by building meaningful connections between schools, teachers and families through accessible technology.
You’ll be working closely with and report to the Director of Research, other teams (engineering, partnership, and product team), and external research partners to implement/conduct TalkingPoints research projects aligned with Theory of Impact.
- Define metrics and build dashboards to track impact of TalkingPoints usage
- Analyze historical data, identify trends, and conduct causal inference econometirc models to measure the impact of TalkingPoints product using experimental and/or quasi-experimental research strategies
- Design, implement, and analyze online experimental data at scale
- Responsible for supporting design, validation, and visualization of data-driven models, including machine learning, AI, NLP models
- Co-write presentations, papers, and memos summarizing results and takeaways for internal and external audiences. Generate actionable insights and program-relevant recommendations from analysis.
- Other research management tasks, as needed, including conducting literature reviews
- Support internal user/product analyses and research
- Support required data pulls for external partners, philanthropic funders and internal needs
Who you are
- A master’s degree or higher in Economics, Statistics, or Computer science; or candidates with relevant experience will be evaluated commensurate with their education and experience
- 3+ years of relevant experience in data science, with a demonstrated ability to use tools such as SQL or Python to work efficiently at scale
- 2+ years of experience in research conducting quasi-experimental analysis or experiment online
- Own end-to-end analysis from extracting the data, to running the appropriate model, to interpreting the results
- Experience with BI tools (e.g. Tableau, Amplitude, or Snowflake)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work with cross functional, internal and external teams of technical and non-technical members
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced iterative environment
Nice to haves
- Experience in academic research with a track record of working independently and executing a research plan
- Project management skills
- Experience using github, cloud computing services (e.g AWS), google NLP
- Experience and/or empathy with communities we serve (e.g., underserved populations, education, immigration, bilingual and/or multicultural environments)
What we offer
- An incredible opportunity to build a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit
- Fun, smart, dynamic, motivated team focused on working together to transform family engagement to serve the families who need it most
- Flexibility to work remotely
- Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
How to apply
Please submit your resume, a brief paragraph describing your interest, and a link to your LinkedIn profile