The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building200 West Baltimore StreetBaltimore, MD. 21201
Main Purpose Of Job
This is a professional position responsible for supporting the agency’s progress toward its mission by assisting in the development and execution of the agencies research agenda, evaluating the implementation and outcomes of agency programs, describing and analyzing agency data, and conducting and/or facilitating large-scale empirical research. The position will also support for the agency’s offices and division to promote data – and evidence-driven decision making.
Serve as senior researcher for the agency’s empirical research, evaluation, and data analysis work.
- Access, collect, describe, and analyze data for use in decision-making by the agency and State Board of Education.
- Design and execute projects from agency’s research agenda by developing research questions and appropriate study design/methodology; conducting rigorous statistical data analysis; and interpreting and communicating results.
- Coordinate with external research partners by evaluating external research requests.
- Communicate findings of research to appropriate audience.
Support the agency’s use of data, research, and evidence in decision-making.
- Write reviews of extant research on a variety of education-related topics.
- Evaluate research on educational programs, activities, and interventions to determine whether research meets standards of quality and rigor.
- Provide data and research to support initiatives run by the agency’s other offices and divisions.
- Collect and analyze data on behalf of the agency’s other offices and divisions such that they can monitor and evaluate their programs (for example, by designing and administering surveys or supporting the development of other data collection tools).
Provide training and technical assistance to support local school systems’ data use, research, and evaluation efforts.
- Conduct data collection, data analysis, empirical research, and/or program evaluations on behalf of or in collaboration with local school systems.
- Provide training and technical support to local school systems such that they can conduct data collection, data analysis, empirical research, and/or program evaluations.
Education: A Master’s degree or the equivalent of 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of administrative or teaching experience in, or affiliated with, an education program, including two years of experience in coordinating or administering an education program or service directly related to the position option.
1. Candidates may substitute two additional years of experience directly related to the position option for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree at an accredited college or university in a field related to the position for one year of the required experience.
3. The required field of education and experience are unique for each option and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Human Resource Management Branch of the Division of Business Services.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Two years experience working as a lead researcher.
Two years experience collecting, describing and analyzing data.
Two years experience presenting research results to a non-expert audience
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be emailed to Catisha.Norville@maryland.gov or faxed to 410-333-8950. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment.
If you are submitting additional information, the preferred method is to upload it with your application. All uploaded additional information must be received by the closing date and time. If you are unable to upload, please email the requested information to Catisha.Norville@maryland.gov referencing the recruitment number in the subject line, or fax to 410-333-8950 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). Only additional materials that are requested will be accepted for this recruitment.
For general questions regarding this announcement, please contact Catisha.Norville@maryland.govv or call 410-767-0012.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.